I recently learned how to make this dish and it got my bf’s approval, and he is from Punjab, India. I wanted to share it with all the other girls trying to impress their Punjabi bf’s! or anyone just looking to eat some good food. I find a lot of Indian dish recipes include using a pressure cooker, which I don’t have. However using a pressure cooker instead of just a plain old pot for boiling the Lentils and Beans is fine as well.
Also if you don’t have a garlic crusher, you can always just cut up the garlic and ginger yourself. I think crushing releases more of the flavour however and is the preferred method if possible. Flavour is what its all about! Typically for this dish I add about 4 teaspoons of salt, because its a salty dish. In the video and in the ingredients I only list 3, but you should always be doing a taste test to check if maybe it needs more halfway through cooking. Adjust to your taste! you can always add more salt but you can’t if you overdo it. I hope you enjoy this recipe!
3/4 cup Urad Whole Black Lentils
1/4 cup Red Kidney Beans
1 med-lg onion
4 cloves of garlic crushed
1 tbsp of crushed ginger
4 tbsp’s of tomato paste
1 tsp ground cumin
pinch of Asafoetida Powder (Hing, 1/8 or 1/4 tsp)
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp garam masala
2 tsp ground coriander
1 or 1/2 tsp of red pepper flakes
3 tbsp of butter
3 tsp salt (or to taste)
1 - 2 tbsp’s of cream as garnish or cilantro or both (optional)
Soak the red kidney beans and black lentils together overnight in water or for at least 6-8 hours.
1. Rinse the red kidney beans and whole black lentils a couple of times and then fill a pot full of water and beans and lentils (about 3 or 4 cups). Bring to a boil and then keep boiling over medium high heat (7 or 8) for 1 hour and 15 minutes. You want them a little over cooked so they mash well.
2. Heat your pan with 3 tbsp’s of butter over medium heat (5). When heat is coming off the pan add crushed ginger and garlic, cumin, & hing. Stir constantly for 2-3 mins.
3. Add chopped onion and cook for about 10 minutes or until it is cooked and browned.
4. Mix tomato paste with a cup of water and mix using a fork to make a tomato puree
5. Add tomato puree, chilli powder, turmeric, garam masala, coriander, salt & red pepper flakes to the cooked onion & continue to stir, for another 5 minutes
6. Add the cooked lentils, beans, and water to the onion mixture and set the temperature to simmer (or about 1 or 2)
7. Cook for about 2 hours on simmer. Stir often to prevent burning and you will have to add about 2- 3 cups of water as the Dal thickens. Allow to thicken to your desired consistency before serving.
8. Serve by pouring cream or using cilantro or both as a garnish and eat with rice, roti, etc.
Adapted Recipe from these site’s recipes:
Be sure to leave a comment if you tried this recipe and let me know how you liked it! Include a photo as well if you have one. Its always great to know what others have chosen to do and any adaptations or changes you make can be helpful for others. I personally always read through the reviews on a dish so I welcome them below.
This law of attraction example demonstrates the synchronicity that has occurred in my life and that continues to occur, amazing me every step of the way.
Elon Musk tweeted about feeling good for the first time in a while, and it surprised me.
You don't always have to tell the truth if its negative, because the truth is that you won't find positive or negative, and so you are only telling half the truth anyway.
My dream May 6 2018 and my interpretation! I think dreams relate to the current theme in your thoughts- mine certainly always do.
© 2018 Tanisha Eileen Hamelin. All Rights Reserved.
Just Love :)